Buenos Aires Fruit & Vegetable Shopping Fiesta: The Truth About Prices
I notice people complaining all the time about the prices in Buenos Aires. Certainly inflation is completely out of hand here with conservative estimates placing it over 24% annually. That being said, I decided today to go on a fruit and vegetable shopping spree, noting the prices of everything, and then came home and logged into my Safeway Grocery and Albertson’s Grocery accounts in California to compare prices.
Typically when asked about prices I simplify my answer and tell people that across the board I pay about 1/3 here for the same cost of living as at home, back in northern California. So that being said, it was not too surprising to find that my overall cost here for today’s shopping fiesta came in at 37.3% of what it would have cost me back in California today.
So here is the breakdown of the costs in pesos and dollars for todays purchase followed by a chart showing the prices I would have paid for the sam items and quantities in California. And the final chart compares the price per pound for these items.
My shopping fiesta today:
- Potatoes – 4 kilos/8.8 lbs. 6.00 pesos
- Carrots – 1 kilo/2.2 lbs. 3.00 pesos
- Squash – 2 kilos/4.4 lbs. 5.00 pesos
- Corn – 1 kilo/2.2 lbs. 10.00 pesos
- Onions – 1 kilo/2.2 lbs. 3.00 pesos
- Red Onions – 1 kilo/2.2 lbs. 6.00 pesos
- Lettuce – 1 kilo/2.2 lbs. 3.00 pesos
- Bananas – 4 kilos/8.8 lbs. 28.00 pesos
- Peaches – 2 kilos/4.4 lbs. 10.00 pesos
- Green Apples – 2 kilos/4.4 lbs. 14.00 pesos
Total: 88.00 pesos / 21.46 dollars
This chart shows the price I would have paid, in dollars, for the amounts listed above along with the totals.
- Potatoes 7.48
- Carrots 2.84
- Onions 2.42
- Red Onions 3.05
- Lettuce 8.62
- Bananas 10.29
- Peaches 8.36
- Squash 4.35
- Green Apples 6.56
- Corn 3.78
Total: 57.75 dollars / 236.78 pesos
My total cost here was 37.2% of that at home.
This final chart compares the price per pound in dollars with the price here in Buenos Aires first and the price in California last.
- Potatoes: 0.17 dollars / 0.85 dollars
- Carrots: 0.33 dollars / 1.29 dollars
- Squash: 0.28 dollars / 0.99 dollars
- Corn: 1.10 dollars / 1.72 dollars
- Yellow Onions: 0.33 dollars / 1.10 dollars
- Red Onions: 0.66 dollars / 1.39 dollars
- Iceberg Lettuce: 0.33 dollars / 3.92 dollars
- Bananas: 0.78 dollars / 1.17 dollars
- Peaches: 0.56 dollars / 1.90 dollars
- Green Apples: 0.77 dollars / 1.49 dollars
Short URL: http://goodmorningba.com/?p=2362